March 2012 Hints & Tips-Leftovers
- Leftover stir fried vegetables from a fajita dinner make quick and easy Quesadillas.
Simple sandwich the vegetables between 2 tortillas, add a layer of cheese/vegan cheese and grill on pan
- You can also use the leftover fajita vegetables to make wraps. Spread, mayonnaise/vegennaise on a wrap. Dot with a spicy sauce. Add leftover vegetables and close wrap
- Use leftover fajita vegetables to make lasagne. Follow directions for pasta. Layer with sauce, pasta, leftover vegetables, add cheese, repeat steps. Bake and enjoy lasagne
- Left over mash, can be converted to potato soup. Add water, mustard seeds, pepper and boil
- Rinds of hard grating cheese like Parmesan can be added to simmering soups to add deep, rich flavor. Remove the rinds before serving
- Revive dried out Parmesan chunks by wrapping them in a damp paper towel and refrigerating in a resealable plastic bag for a day before using. After using, simply store the cheese in the bag again without the towel
- It's a lot easier to slice soft cheese, such as fresh mozzarella, using an egg slicer. Place the ball of cheese in the slicer, then push the wire tines through the cheese to cut
- Before whipping heavy cream, put the bowl and beaters in the freezer for at least 15 minutes. The cream will whip more quickly and be more stable
- After adding sour cream or yogurt to a warm sauce or soup, take care that it doesn't boil,it will curdle. Although the flavor will be fine, but you will have bits of yogurt clumps
- Garnish Caesar salads or pasta dishes with big shavings of Parmesan cheese. Simply use a vegetable peeler to shave the cheese directly onto dishes for an attractive garnish
- Prevent icy crystals from forming on ice cream by pressing a piece of wax paper or plastic wrap on the surface after scooping
- To keep whipped cream from turning watery after whipping, place it in a strainer set over a bowl and let stand for 5 minutes before serving
- Make a stick of cold butter spreadable by "shaving" slices of it from with a vegetable peeler. The thin butter ribbon will quickly turn soft and won't tear holes in soft bread.
- You may also place the butter in a bowl, then immerse that into a container of hot water. Do not let the water touch the butter. Remove when butter is soft
If you have any interesting tips to share please email them to
You may also reach me via my
contact information at
Now quickly and easily navigate to your next destination.